There are numerous platform (or “oratory”) speeches where competitors write and deliver their own informational or persuasive speech. Most forensic leagues offer platforms like Original Oratory, Persuasive, Informational Speaking, and many other unique forms of platform speaking. Monument Members hear from champions who have enjoyed success in various platform categories. They include their own speech as well as give pointers to members for their preparation. Members who participate in platform speaking should allocate time during the week to study the pieces Monument releases. By real tournament time, you will be prepared to compete.
Earlier Platform Releases
- Platform CHRISTMAS BONUS: “Season 20 Platform – Complete Collection” (12/26/2019) - This zipped file download consists of study material for Platform Speakers during the 2019-2020 school year in various speech and debate leagues.
- Platform Release #20: “Be in the World” (Persuasive) (12/16/2019) - This is a speech performed by Elena Trueba in season 11 (2010-2011). She consistency placed in 1st and 2nd at every tournament she competed at with this speech. In this article, Elena explains how she wrote this award-winning platform and some essential tips on including passion.
- Platform Release #19: “Godly Grieving” (OO) (12/9/2019) - This is an Original Oratory speech written by Maggie Topper in Season 15 (2014-2015). She consistently placed in 1st and 2nd place at every tournament she attended. She ended the season ranked 2nd in California and 3rd in the country for this event.
- Platform Release #18: “Gender Roles” (Persuasive) (12/2/2019) - This is a Persuasive speech written by Lydia Jeub. She placed as a finalist at the National Invitational Tournament of Champions for the 2011-2012 Season. She ended the season ranked 4th in Persuasive in her state on SpeechRanks.com for the 2011-2012 season.
- Platform Release #17: “Of Sponges, Locusts, and the Velcro Plant” (Expos) (11/25/2019) - This is an Expository Speech performed for the 2009-2010 year. It was a semifinalist at the 2010 NCFCA National Championship, received 1st at many qualifying tournaments, and ranked 3rd in Expos/Illustrated Oratory for the 2009-2010 season.
- Platform Release #16: “Abortion” (Persuasive) (11/18/2019) - This is a persuasive written for the 2010-2011 competition year. It ranked 1st place at the National Invitational Tournament of Champions, is on the Stoa Hall of Fame, ranked 1st at several regional tournaments, and ranked 1st in Persuasive on SpeechRanks.com for the 2010-2011 competitive season.
- Platform Release #15: “Honor Killings” (OO) (11/11/2019) - This is an Original Oratory Semifinalist, 2011 National Invitational Tournament of Champions
- Platform Release #14: “Brain Damage in Football” (Expos) (11/4/2019) - This is an Expository speech written by Dawn Manning. She was a finalist at the 2011 NCFCA National Championship, as well as wining local tournaments. She ranked 1st for Expos/Illustrated Oratory on Speech Ranks for the 2010-2011 season.
- Platform Release #13: “Hope Amongst Asperger’s” (OO) (10/28/2019) - This is an Original Oratory performed by Callan J. Yeates during the 2007-2008 NCFCA Season. It received 8th place at the National Championship.
- Platform Release #12: “Stand up for Your Health” (Persuasive) (10/21/2019) - This is a Persuasive written by Riaz Lane for NCFCA 2014-2015 competition year. It went to Quarterfinals at the NCFCA Nationals tournament, as well as winning first place at several local tournaments. He ranked 1st Place in North Carolina and 7th Place in the nation the year he competed on Speechranks.
- Platform Release #11: “A.D.D.” (Expos) (10/14/2019) - This speech was performed by Brandon Douglas during the 2011-2012 Season. He took 2nd Place at Stoa’s National Invitational Tournament of Champions, 1st Place at Sonoma County Classic, 3rd Place at Heart of the Valley, and he ranked 2nd in Expos/Illustrated Oratory on Speech Ranks for the 2010-2011 season
- Platform Release #10: “The American Constitution” (OO) (10/7/2019) - This speech was originally written for the American Legion Oratorical contest, in which I qualified for their Regional level of competition. The successes that I achieved in Stoa became a spring board for many opportunities! I was one of nine students chosen to have their speech filmed by Focus on the Family. Focus’s goal is to use these speeches for political outreach programs. I also was given the platform at a local political rally and County Commissioner debate, where I was able to demonstrate that young people are educated and care about their county. My success was defined by how many people I was able to impact through competition, the Focus on the Family project, and speaking in the local community.
- Platform Release #09: “Veterans” (Persuasive) (9/30/2019) - This is a Persuasive speech performed by Josiah Walker during the 2013-2014 competition season. He is in the Stoa Hall of Fame: 2014 NITOC Persuasive Champion and won multiple local tournaments. He was ranked 1st in Persuasive in California and Nationally the year he competed in this speech.
- Platform Release #08: “Beyond the Box” (Expos) (9/23/2019) - This is an Expository speech on Operation Christmas Child given by Amanda Hasegawa. She is on the Stoa Hall of Fame: 2014 NITOC Finalist and was a finals contestant throughout the year.
- Platform Release #07: “Birth Order: So What?” (OO) (9/16/2019) - This is an Original Oratory performed for the 2009-2010 NCFCA Season. It received 4th place at the National Championship, 3rd at the Colorado National Open.
- Platform Release #06: “International Adoption” (Pers) (9/9/2019) - This article is written by Sarah Klein who gives the background on a champion platform
- Platform Release #05: “Poetry is Dead” (OO) (9/2/2019) - This is an Original Oratory written as a slam poem performed by Tabitha Jeub. She placed as a finalist at the National Invitational Tournament of Champions for the 2017-2018 Season. She ended the season ranked 1st in Original Oratory in her state on SpeechRanks.com for the 2017-2018 season.
- Platform Release #04: “The Meaning of Words” (OO) (8/26/2019) - This is an Original Oratory piece written and performed by Jonathan Krive. He is NCFCA’s Hall of Fame Original Oratory Champion in 2003. He won the National Championship with this Oratory speech about The Meaning of Words. (Check out his record on NCFCA’s Hall of Fame here: http://www.ncfca.org/competition-results/hall-of-fame/) Jonathan Krive won this event 3 years in a row! He definitely knows what he’s doing, so take some notes on what really goes on behind the scenes of writing a champion worthy platform.
- Platform Release #03: “Heritage of Hunting” (Expos) (8/19/2019) - Directions: Use this source material to enhance your understanding of expos. This speech is an excellent example of champion speaking. You may want to consider doing this event in Season 20.
- All-Member Release #02: “Keys to Speech and Debate Success” (Video Lessons) (8/12/2019) - This 4-video course sets the stage for the most successful speech and debate season, walking you through foundational, practical, strategic and successful keys to your success.
- Competitive Speech Release #01: “Introduction to Competitive Speech” (8/5/2019) - This preseason document introduces you to the most exciting world of competitive speech.
Most speech and debate organizations offer platform as a category for speech. The following are active platform organizations:
- AFA provides Informative Speaking and Persuasive.
- NCFCA provides four categories of Platform: Biographical Narrative, Illustrated Oratory, Informative Speaking, and Persuasive Speaking.
- NCFL provides Oratorical Declamation and Original Oratory.
- NSDA provides Expository, Informative and Original Oratory.
- Stoa provides Expository, Original Oratory, and Persuasive Speaking.
Season 20 Release Schedule
Monument releases content from August through December (Semester 1) and has all source material ready for competitive season (Semester 2). For a list of all Member downloads for Season 20, click here. The following is a general release schedule for Season 20:
- August - All preseason material and instructional videos release, setting up students on the path to success.
- September-October - The basic informational material and first cases will be released (e.g. summaries, resolutional articles, etc.).
- November-December - Cases, negative/opposition briefs, and strategic source content will be released.
- Christmas 2019 - All foundational downloads are complete! Individual sourcebooks are set up for sale through June 2020.
- January-May - BONUS material is released to members on a more as-needed basis using our Coaching Request Form.
Members are fully prepared for competition. Click here to join.
Permission & Usage
Click Here for complete information on permissions. All Membership content and Library Archives are proprietary intellectual content, so please respect our copyrights. Simply put, if you are not a Monument Member or a Library Access Owner you may not use it or share its content. If one partner of a debate team is a member and the other is not, the one who is a Monument Member must be the controller of the logins, downloads and incorporation of the Monument Membership material. Sharing logins is strictly prohibited, the only exception being from immediate family members within a single household.