Literary interpretive speaking, “interp” for short, consists of events where competitors display an appreciation and recitation of a piece of literature. Most forensic leagues have numerous types of interps, the most popular being Humorous Interp (HI), Dramatic Interp (DI) and Duo Interp (DUO). Monument Members hear from champions who have enjoyed success in various interp categories. They reference their own speech success and give pointers to members for their preparation. Members who participate in interp should allocate time during the week to study the interp pieces Monument releases. By real tournament time, you will be prepared to compete.
Earlier Interp Releases
- Interp BONUS: “The Composer Is Dead” (HI) (2/3/2020) - This is a Humorous Interpretation written for the 2010-2011 competition year. It placed 2nd Place, 2011 NCFCA National Championship, as well as winning regional tournaments.
- Interp CHRISTMAS BONUS: “Season 20 Interp – Complete Collection” (12/26/2019) - This zipped file download consists of study material for Interpretive Speakers during the 2019-2020 school year in various speech and debate leagues.
- Interp Release #20: “The Hiding Place” (DUO) (12/16/2019) - This unforgettable speech was performed by Andrea and Savannah Johnson in the years 2011-2012. Together they were finalists at every tournament they competed at. At the National Invitation Tournament of Champions, they received 10th place and they ended the season by being number 1 in their state.
- Interp Release #19: “Fantastic Mr. Fox” (DUO) (12/9/2019) - This speech was performed by Christopher and Shane Roberts in Season 14 (2013-2014). They consistently took the top two places in National Opens around the nation. They won the Regional tournament and took runner up at the NCFCA National Tournament. They ended the season by being ranked 1st in their state and 2nd in the country.
- Interp Release #18: “The Bridge to Terabithia” (DI) (12/2/2019) - This speech was performed by Hope Suffelette in Season 14 (2013-2014). She took 1st place three in state competitions, one first place slot at an out of state tournament and 2nd at the St. Louis Gateway Classic and was ranked 1st in OI in Montana at the end of the season.
- Interp Release #17: “The 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee” (OI) (11/25/2019) - This is an Open Interpretation performed by Elena Trueba for the 2010-2011 competition season. It placed 2nd at the 2011 Stoa National Invitational Tournament of Champions, as well as ranking 3rd for Open Interpretation on Speech Ranks for the 2010-2011 season
- Interp Release #16: “Bread & Jam for Frances” (HI) (11/18/2019) - This is a Humorous Interpretation performed by Cody Cessna in the 2009-2010 season. It placed 2nd Place at the 2010 NCFCA National Championship and did well at local tournaments as well.
- Interp Release #15: “Uncle Tom’s Cabin” (DI) (11/11/2019) - A Dramatic Interpretation performed in 2009 by Shannon Powell. It won 2nd Place at the 2009 NCFCA National Championship
- Interp Release #14: “Well With My Soul” (DUO) (11/4/2019) - This is a Duo Interpretation performed for the 2014-2015 season. It won the National Invitational Tournament of champions, as well as ranking well in many local tournaments. It ranked 1st place in Arizona and 1st Place in the Nation the year they competed.
- Interp Release #13: “The Raven” (OI) (10/28/2019) - This is an Open Interpretation written by Aspen Plummer for the 2010-2011 competition year. It is on the Stoa Hall of Fame: 2011 Open Interpretation Champion, as well as ranking 2nd on Speech Ranks for Open Interpretation/Thematic for the 2010-2011 season
- Interp Release #12: “Steel Magnolias” (DI) (10/21/2019) - This speech was performed by Chandler Lasch in Season 12 (2011-2012). She took 5th place at Stoa’s National Invitational Tournament of Champions and was consistently a finalist throughout the season.
- Interp Release #11: “The Miracle Worker” (DI) (10/14/2019) - This is a Dramatic Interpretation performed during the 2010-2011 season. It won 5th Place, 2011 Stoa National Invitational Tournament of Champions Oftentimes, with pieces like The Miracle Worker that are plays, it is necessary to obtain permission from the licensing company to use it. Since The Miracle Worker is published and widely available, I did not think it was necessary to write for special permission, and I never had any problems –– although, it would have been a good idea just to double check.
- Interp Release #10: “Cinderella” (DUO) (10/7/2019) - To be honest, the reason we were successful at all this year was our willingness to step outside of our comfort zones and make it new and fresh each tournament. We decided about three days before the first tournament of the season to completely scratch the piece we had been writing and write an entirely new one. Two days before the tournament, we got together and blocked the piece. For the tournament, we had rooms packed full of people to watch our zany rendition of a beloved tale. We were shocked when we broke to semi-finals, even more shocked when we broke to finals, and the shock had shocked our socks off (try saying that ten times fast) when we placed third.
- Interp Release #09: “Ferdinand the Bull” (OI) (9/30/2019) - This is an Open Interpretation performed by Stephen Roe during the 2009-2010 season. He won 1st Place, 2010 Stoa National Invitational Tournament of Champions.
- Interp Release #08: “The Watsons Go To Birmingham” (HI) (9/23/2019) - This humorous Interpretation was performed by Eduardo Ricks. In this article, he describes the background of how he chose and wrote the national-winning piece
- Interp Release #07: “Flowers for Algernon” (DI) (9/16/2019) - This speech was performed by Jacob Aschmutat in 2009. He is in NCFCA’s Hall of Fame and was the NCFCA Dramatic Interpretation Champion 2009.
- Interp Release #06: “Sir Malcolm and the Missing Prince” (Duo) (9/9/2019) - This article is about a Duo Interpretation performed by Anthony Matzke and Eduardo Ricks who achieved 1st Place, 2011 April Fueled Fray; 2nd Place, Region VII Invitational.
- Interp Release #05: “At the Back of the North Wind” (OI) (9/2/2019) - This speech was performed by Karlyn Leander as an Open Interpretation. She took 1st place at almost every Colorado tournament and made it to the Semifinal round at Stoa’s National Invitational Tournament of Champions. She finished the season by being ranked 1st in Colorado on Speechranks.
- Interp Release #04: “The Book of Awesome” (DUO) (8/26/2019) - This unforgettable speech was performed by Kasey Leander and Benjamin Griffith, Stoa’s Hall of Fame Duo Champions in 2011. They won the National Invitational Tournament of Champions in San Diego with this Duo Interp on “The Book of Awesome” by Neil Pasricha. They ended the season ranked 2nd in Duo Interp on SpeechRanks.com for the 2010-2011 season.
- Interp Release #03: “Meanwhile, Back at the Ranch” (HI) (8/19/2019) - Directions: Use this source material to enhance your understanding of expos. This speech is an excellent example of champion speaking. You may want to consider doing this event in Season 20.
- All-Member Release #02: “Keys to Speech and Debate Success” (Video Lessons) (8/12/2019) - This 4-video course sets the stage for the most successful speech and debate season, walking you through foundational, practical, strategic and successful keys to your success.
- Competitive Speech Release #01: “Introduction to Competitive Speech” (8/5/2019) - This preseason document introduces you to the most exciting world of competitive speech.
Most speech and debate organizations offer interp as a category for speech. The following are active interp organizations:
- AFA provides Prose Interpretation, Dramatic Duo, Program Oral Interp, After Dinner Speaking, Drama Interp, and Poetry Interp.
- NCFCA provides Biblical Presentation, Duo Interpretation, Open Interpretation, and Original Interpretation.
- NCFL Extemp provides Dramatic Performance, Duo Interp, Oral Interp, .
- NSDA provides Declamation, Dramatic Interp, Duo Interp, Humorous Interp, Poetry, Program Oral Interp, Prose and Story Telling.
- Stoa provides Dramatic, Duo, Humorous, and Open.
- UIL provides Oral Interpretation.
Season 20 Release Schedule
Monument releases content from August through December (Semester 1) and has all source material ready for competitive season (Semester 2). For a list of all Member downloads for Season 20, click here. The following is a general release schedule for Season 20:
- August - All preseason material and instructional videos release, setting up students on the path to success.
- September-October - The basic informational material and first cases will be released (e.g. summaries, resolutional articles, etc.).
- November-December - Cases, negative/opposition briefs, and strategic source content will be released.
- Christmas 2019 - All foundational downloads are complete! Individual sourcebooks are set up for sale through June 2020.
- January-May - BONUS material is released to members on a more as-needed basis using our Coaching Request Form.
Members are fully prepared for competition. Click here to join.
Permission & Usage
Click Here for complete information on permissions. All Membership content and Library Archives are proprietary intellectual content, so please respect our copyrights. Simply put, if you are not a Monument Member or a Library Access Owner you may not use it or share its content. If one partner of a debate team is a member and the other is not, the one who is a Monument Member must be the controller of the logins, downloads and incorporation of the Monument Membership material. Sharing logins is strictly prohibited, the only exception being from immediate family members within a single household.